Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Oink the swine flu outta here!

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/uploads/swine-flu.jpg

I just cancelled my flights to Melbourne for the upcoming Queen's Birthday long weekend because of swine flu. "It's the same as the regular flu!" naysayers told me. "It's the wimpiest flu strain ever!", a work colleague reassured me.

Unfortunately, I'm fearful nonetheless- of exactly what, I'm not entirely sure... it's all in the name, I know: "Swine flu". If it was banana flu or chocolate sundae flu we'd all be screaming "Bring it on!"- after all, chocolate sundae in the system would only lead to days filled with gooey chocolatey pleasure. Just like the Cadbury ad.







www.flickr.com/photos/jamescaws/3284343380/

But I digress.

Ultimately, I'm bitter because this blasted flu, or yes, I confess, my own unwillingness to face this germy nuisance head on, has ruined what would have otherwise been a marvellous Melbourne interlude . Man from Mars organised tickets to the theatre. And I say theatre in italics because going to the theatre is such a rare thing in the life and times of me, and I was truly excited for it. When will I ever be going to the theatre in the near future?

Ah well. I'll get over it. For now, I'll keep glaring with all my might at all those people who continue to liberally sneeze and cough all over me and everyone else. I have only one thing say to them:

(Actually, before I let loose on what I have to say to them, I add this disclaimer: some may argue that the use of this phrase is somewhat out of context, given that it's commonly used when couples are ensconced in public displays of affection, and swine flu hardly conjures up images of "share the love!" and passionate embrace. But nonetheless):
"GET A ROOOM!"

That's right. Quarantine yourself until you can't quarantine yourself no more.

No comments: