Monday, May 25, 2009

Dazed and Confused...


http://www.kinneybrothers.com/FLASH%20CARDS/confused.jpg

Dazed: because I haven't had to:
  • wake up before 9am;
  • use the old noggin for longer than it takes to complete a sudoku puzzle;
  • act PC;
  • say "hi how are you" more than twice a day;
  • think about what to wear;
  • think about what to eat;
  • think about how to talk;
  • think about what to say
for the past 7 weeks.

Confused: because against all hope:

  • I got a job, and I feel a little overwhelmed.
Not only do I have to get my derriere, brain, mouth, manners and outfits into gear, but I don't know the faintest about the job I got myself into. Well, I do, sort of. But only what I'd overheard from my previous job. Certainly, none of it's firsthand knowledge and I feel like I have a mountain of stuff to learn before I can even hope to look like I know what I'm talking about, let alone actually feel it. Finance jargon slips back and forth like repartee between my work mates, as they debate the whys and wherefores of complainants and their loan facilities, industry rules and guidelines other stuff that I can't remember because I got lost somewhere at "Hi, how are you".

Don't worry, it's my first day, it'll get better like it always does. But I don't think I'll ever get used to how uncomfortable first days of everything always are. The forced "happy face" that is reserved entirely for occasions such as these, the fact that you need to figure out where the bathroom is, how to log on, when everyone eats lunch, where everyone eats lunch, when does everyone get in?

Having said that, it's all rather a bit of an adventure. Everyone there is really nice, young and welcoming, so I can't ask for more...and obviously, being at less than optimum brain alertness is affecting my capacity to react and act bright-eyed and bushy tailed, but that will hopefully subside by the end of the week.

Ciao fellas and bellas, hope your week is off to a more flying start than mine.

No comments: