Monday, July 5, 2010

Weekend efforts

This weekend I went down to Melbourne to "touch base" with Man from Mars. That sounds super wanky I know, like I'm tooting my "I'm friendly but not familiar in the workplace" horn, but to be honest, it kind of feels like that. These days we only see each other once every three weeks-- so a two day catch up making up for 21 days apart is proportionately inadequate.

Anyway, I flew in on Friday and we drove back to his house where we ate a ginormous combination noodle stirfry which proceeded to give us enough belly gas to imitate a symphony orchestra- saxophone and all. That's not to say it wasn't delicious- because it was. But like all things tasty, the havoc that it wreaked on my digestive tract was impressive. (Man from Mars suspects that I may be gluten intolerant- I refuse to believe this because my diet is 90% gluten concentrated).

On Saturday we woke up sleepy, out of sorts and mildly pressed for time. Our conversation at breakfast went like this:

Man from Mars: What are youse having for breakfast?
Me: Porridge, crumpets and timtams. Can I have some cinnamon scroll too?

then:

Me: What are youse having for breakfast?
Man from Mars (while focusing all his energy on not spilling his bowl of porridge as he steps carefully to the microsave): I'm having spag-hett-iiiii

he says slowly.

??

We had grand plans to shop up Chapel St, but the rainy, windy weather kept us indoors. I got a gold and black zigzag cardie and two v-necks. Man from Mars searched for the elusive trench and came away empty handed. Then we went to the oovie vending machine and rented: The Boys are Back and Bright Star.

Both movies are brilliant- 5 stars. Girls will be more inclined to appreciate Bright Star while The Boys are Back will appeal to everyone.

All weekend I hung out for Katy Perry's new song, California Girls to come out on the radio. On Saturday when I was feeling particularly pissed off that the rain was ruining our Chapel St plans, I shouted at Man from Mars' car radio:

Why aren't you playing my favourite songggg???!!!

And then, as if someone upstairs was really listening to me, the song came out just as I stopped shouting.

It was a lovely weekend and I can't wait for these next few weeks to hurry up so that I can "touch base" with Man from Mars again.

No comments: