Monday, May 16, 2011

Lizards caught out in blizzards...

As a diminutive lizard living out in the big wide world, I imagine that a windy night would feel closer to a blizzard of gigantic proportions. With no warm bricks to scamper over and the baking sun long gone, Mr Lizard would be out of its depth- uncomfortably cold. Kind of homeless.

This evening as I hung my towel behind my door and shimmied into my pyjamas with the heater on full blast, I spied a Mr Long Lizard (and I mean looong, like an anaconda) wedged up in the gap where the carpet meets the wall.

I momentarily freaked out because lizards are so unpredictable when they zig zag across the floor. And then I realised that he had trekked all this way to try and find his home away from home-- a toasty warm bedroom fit for human slumber.

I'd love to say that my inner empathy for the lizard's plight won out over my fear for all things creepy crawly, but I admit, the prospect of having a lizard entangled in my sheets was too much, and I shuffled it into a cardboard box and put it outside.

I'm sorry little lizard, I hope you're okay out there !!!!

No comments: