Thursday, July 2, 2009

Me and my Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day...


Remember that book Benita from Play School would read us at Story Time, 2 o'clock on the Rocket Clock: "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day", by Judith Viorst?

It was one of my favourite books, largely because Benita would put on the cranky voice of Alexander so well, and also because I honestly felt bad for the guy. Everything in his world went wrong that day. I could understand why he felt like the entire universe was against him. Here's what went down to make Alexander's day so memorably bad:
  1. he went to sleep with gum in his mouth and wakes up with gum in his hair;
  2. he gets out of bed, trips on his skateboard and by mistake drops his sweater in the sink while the water is running;

  3. at breakfast, Alexander's brothers Nick and Anthony reach into their cereal boxes and pull out amazing prizes, while all Alexander ends up with is cereal;

  4. his teacher doesn't like his drawing of an invisible castle;

  5. there is no dessert in his lunch;

  6. the dentist tells him he has a cavity;

  7. there is kissing on TV;

  8. he has to have lima beans for supper; and

  9. he has to wear his railroad train pajamas (he hates his railroad train pajamas)
In fact, things are so bad that Alexander wants to go to Australia, because in Australia, everything is upside down, so maybe a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day can become a wonderful, terrific, really good day! (See: http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/family/alexander/ for more on this marvellous book).

Luckily Alexander discovers that even people in Australia have terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days and the moral of the story is that that's life, get over and don't sook too hard.

Still, when those days hit, it's hard not to think that you're somehow cursed for those 24 hours.

Here's what happened in my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day- nothing singularly devastatingly bad, but cumulatively, morale breaking:
  1. I woke up and my fringe was at north north east

  2. I made my lunch to take to work. Then I proceeded to leave it on the kitchen table and forget it.

  3. I left my work pass in the pocket of my other coat. I had to work around the whole block to get into work through the other entrance, because there was no other way in

  4. I stupidly wore my uncomfortable shoes and my pinkie toe is killing me

  5. I got an abusive phone call from a pissed off person who took out everything crap in her life, onto me

  6. I decided to refresh myself with a Boost juice- they didn't crush it for long enough. I tried to mash it with my straw. I mashed so hard that it piked a hole through the styrofoam cup. Cue: river of Boost coarsing down the side of the cup, down my hand, onto the ground.

  7. Man from Mars unwittingly lets slip a selfish comment

which sends me over the edge and I unleash a barrage of angry whinging which, even by my standards doesn't really make sense.

Oh well- Sense shmense, I deserve to not make sense after such a disastrous day.


Tomorrow BETTER be a WAY BETTER DAY.

Otherwise, I might just crack the double sh*ts.



No comments: