Monday, February 8, 2010

A couple of thousand words later...


http://fysop.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/words-12.jpg

After my post yesterday, I checked my inbox and saw an email from Man from Mars: A blunt email requesting an explanation for my hanging up on him and an invitation to discuss.

In not so many words, Man from Mars was extending the olive branch. Waving the proverbial white flag. Offering the handshake of truce.

I read the email, considered his words and thought about what I would write in response.

It turned out to be a super long email of about 2000 odd words.

Man from Mars' response was equally long.

[We've always rocked at sorting out our issues by way of email, because of the long distance nature of our relationship.]

As we exchanged angry thoughts, pointed criticisms, sincere apologies, heated justifications and finally, ways we could help the situation, I realised the whole fiasco boiled down to one thing:

Man from Mars felt like I was taking him for granted.

I felt like he never acknowledged what I put into this relationship and wondered: Well, what's the point?

In other words, saying thank you to each other goes a long way in keeping the happiness flowing.
Two words: Thank you.

Rolls easily off the tongue when you're talking to a stranger, but so much harder to say to the people who actually give a crap.

Why is that???

No comments: