Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sweet Sundays

Sundays are so sleepy and slow. Especially when I have no plans. I woke up, watched 2 episodes of Friends before eating my bonza breakfast of porridge, fruit cocktail (non-alcoholic, naturally) and 2 pieces of toast. A deliciously slothy start.

Then I looked out the window, sussed out the weather and decided that it was too nice a day to spend indoors. So I texted a bunch of people and asked them if they wanted to hang. Yes, yes they did, but no, no they could not. Everyone was already booked up. No worries, I thought- I'm just going to hang by myself!

So I hopped on the train and went to the city. I started my day off by stocking up on the food that I'd need on my day with myself. A gourmet sandwich from the German bakery, a blueberry danish from Woolies, some Grainwaves and a banana. I stowed my food away in my handbag and started my day perusing Sportsgirl, Witchery, Man Witchery (or whatever boy Witchery's called) and that whole strip under Town Hall station. I walked for miles and miles (really really slowly), looked at the sky, got in people's way, was answerable to no one, set my own pace and had a grand time.

Eventually though, I ran out of food, got sore feet and needed some sit down time. Given that I don't drink coffee, don't really love cafes and didn't want to go anywhere where I'd be asked "Do you want anything else besides your pineapple frappe?" I opted for my bookstore of choice: Basement Books. It's right at the end of the tunnel in Central Station and they have an excellent selection of books, games, art supplies and stationery. Plus, they have comfy chairs that sink down like a warm duvet, a soundtrack that features Norah Jones and Enya and no intrusive sales people asking me whether I'm "okay to just browse?"

I chose a bunch of books, snuggled down into my chair and actually read a whole book while I
was there. Well, actually, I read the first half and then the last 3 chapers which enabled me to get the entire plot and the exciting conclusion. When I'd finished (2 hours later), I got up, stretched, yawned and put the book back. Then I mosied on out of there all zen and nonchalant- and trotted onto the train back home.

Meanwhile, Man from Mars is back in Melbourne for a couple of weeks. He has a cold, so it's a good thing he's back in his home hood, where he can relax and catch some zzzz's. I had a mild male moment last night where, even before he called to chat, I resolutely decided that I wasn't in the mood to talk. Normally, I'm the typical female who talks and talks and talks and only stops when I'm given hints from Man from Mars like "OK, I have to go and iron my shirts now". But last night, my mind wasn't in it. Some days the phone just isn't all that appealing. Plus, I honestly had no goss. So Man from Mars, puzzled as pasta, but very understanding all the same, let me go after a series on one word answers on my part.

That's all on my end- Have a fabulous week!

PS: How brave is Jessica Watson???!!!!! What an incredible, amazing, gigantic achievement.

No comments: