Sunday, October 18, 2009

Come ride wit me on my new Harley D

http://forum.belmont.edu/business/Harley%20Davidson%20Bike.jpg

Okay, so it's not exactly a Harley Davidson, but it's pretty damn close.

This weekend I went to Canberra and to hang with Man from Mars and while it's been on the cards for a while, I've always found some excuse to put off the purchase of my new Harley D, also known as a cute pink bike from Big W. The excuses range from:
  1. "I don't know how to ride a bike" (I don't- unlike most kids my parents got me a scooter instead of a bike and as time went by I just never learnt, because my scooter was just as efficient);

  2. "I can't be bothered"- bothered to learn, bothered to go out and buy one, bothered to endure the discomfort that is involved in inevitably having to learn in a public park where the entire world would know my secret;

  3. "I'm just not flexible enough to get my leg over the bike seat"- this is actually true. I don't doubt that I'm officially one of the least flexible people on the planet, and the fact that getting on a bike involves a certain degree of leg spreading, I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of having to test getting on bikes in a bike shop, only to not be able to even get past that point.

So you can understand why I procrastinated.

Anyway, Man from Mars decided enough was enough and nicely coerced me into agreeing that yes, I did want to learn and yes, I would ride it if he could find a bike that I could mount.

Lucky I said yes because he found a hot pink bike with gears and everything. It even has wicked flames on the side and a bell that goes "ding ding!" if some rude pedestrian gets in the way.

So anyway, I started learning how to ride it yesterday at 6pm in the side driveway that runs down the length of Man from Mars' house. As expected, the mounting of the bike was a clumsy and difficult process- my right leg shuddered up as far as it could go and I just managed to get it over the other side. Bike mounted and Man from Mars coaxed me into pushing off. Bad idea. Legs got tangled, and before I knew it, it was hello to the driveway cement. Gradually I mastered the push off the back leg, and just as I thought I could advance to getting both feet on the peddles, Man from Mars declared that it was 8pm. Two hours?- hell I was having that much fun I didn't feel two hours go past.

Having said that, there ain't no pretty way of saying this, but all that bike riding made my loins (and everything else in that vicinity), hurt. Kill. In fact, I absolutely reckon a new bike seat needs to be designed pronto. Preferably one that isn't so narrow you could cut cheese with it.

Last night I even had a dream linked to my bike riding. It wasn't the nicest dream because all my teeth crumbled and fell out. But when I googled my dream on the dream interpreter, it said this:

"Another rationalization for these falling teeth dream may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some specific situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxiety"

And it's so true. Probably the main reason why I put off learning for so long is because I was mortified that I would have to learn at some bike riding school or in some huge park where 8 year olds would be roaring past me on their 10 speed monsters.

It suffices to say that I'm having a blast and I can't wait until I've mastered it. And Man from Mars has to get special kudos for being so persistent, patient and making me feel like I'll be able to learn it, even if it takes me the rest of the year. And then some.

No comments: