Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ouch, how awkward...


Today the train ride home was full of ouch-how-awkward moments.

Ouch-how-awkward Moment #1:

I found myself staring at this cranky googly eyed middle age man who was sitting facing me, but two rows away in the 6 seater at the end of the carriage. I was being pretty subtle about it too because I was staring at him through the reflection of the train window (best way to spy, I tell you). He was playing on his ugly palm pilot and slurping his tongue around his lips over and over. And I mean over and over. I'm pretty sure my face was equal parts of eww gross and what is he looking at? He looked out the window and somehow made eye contact with me through the reflection of the train window. He stopped slurping and stared me down. Awkward.

Ouch-how-awkward Moment #2:

The guy next to me was watching a DVD on his lap top. It was the Shipping Post. I only know because I watched the opening credits and then my eyes got sore from slying staring out sideways. His phone rang. He paused the DVD. I looked up to see what he had paused on. Two lovers in passionate embrace, mouths wide open screaming in the lusty throes of carnal passion. He tried to shield the screen with his free arm. Too late, I'd already seen and somehow he knew it. We made eye contact and I quickly looked away. Awkward.

Ouch-how-awkward Moment #3:

The train driver misled me and a bunch of other commuters by saying that the next stop was our stop when it was actually the stop before our stop. We all got up, crowded around the doors and when the doors zoomed open, none of us looked too hard to see where we were. Man 1 stepped off, Man 2 stepped off, then I stepped off. "Whoops, it's not our stop", declared Man 1. We all bumped into each other as we tried to get back on the train and apologised to each other because what more was there to say? Then we all murmured that it was the driver's fault for getting it wrong and how could he get it wrong. Then when the train started up again to our actual station, we all crowded around the doors again, with nothing more to say. Sheepish grins shared all around. Awkward.

No comments: