Monday, June 28, 2010

Ahoy over there!

Every night when Miss DB and I leave work at the same time, we stumble to the station talking non-stop, knocking into each other and laughing a lot of the time. Everything seems so funny when you're leaving work. We zoom through the ticket gates and wave each other goodbye:

Okay bye! She waves and gives her delightfully broad grin and heads to her platform

Okay see you tomorrow! I shout over my shoulder and run to my platform

We may as well be saying hi how you going? because most of the time if we have time to spare before our trains arrive, one of us calls the other. We're both on Vodaphone and it's free so we stand there facing each other from our respective platforms and continue the conversation. A large portion of this conversation is taken up with me giving her a blow by blow account of the people she's standing next to, and whether or not they've figured out that I'm talking to her. I look directly at her and gesticulate wildly to give them clues that we're actually talking to each other. Similarly, she accompanies all her statements with lots of facial expression and hand movements- the kind of things you don't do when you're talking to someone who's not directly opposite you.

Sometimes I see people figure it out. They look at me, then at Miss DB, then back again. Then they turn to their friend and murmur something to them. Then their friend looks at me, then at Miss DB and then at me again- then grin- all proud-like: that's right buddies, you cracked the code!

Will the novelty of this ever wear off? Unlikely.

Do I recommend it to all you folk out there? Absolutely. It's enormously fun, silly and cool.

No comments: