Friday, June 18, 2010

Bus driver banter

In the evenings I catch the bus home.

The bus drivers know me now. On Tuesdays, there's a smiley Japanese driver who kindly takes a shortcut and stops right in front of my driveway. He always grins joyfully and warns me to "mind your step!" as I get off blindly into the dark.

Today, there is a new bus driver who tells me that he has never done this route before. As the last passenger before me, gets off, he engages in the usual conversation:

Driver: So you're not having a big night out tonight?
Me (at the risk of sounding like a total nerd geriatric): Nah, I can't be bothered. I just wanna go home and watch Masterchef
Driver (not too surprised): Fair enough! Yeah, I'm really getting into Masterchef too
Me: Yeah I love it! Everyone cries and makes good food! But you wouldn't get to watch it if your driving your bus at night, right?
Him: Nah, I don't usually do this route- but I find that I miss 2 episodes on average a week.
Me: You can watch it online!
Him (dubious): Yeah, I'm not too up to speed with watching it online!

And then I asked him to stop at my driveway and he chuckled- maybe because he's not officially my chauffeur and you're not meant to ask the driver to drop you off at your door.

I thanked him and told him to watch it online and he promised that he'd give it a go.

Bus drivers are so underrated.

No comments: