Monday, June 21, 2010

Off kilter


http://teachers.greenville.k12.sc.us/sites/rcook/2007%20Italy/106B%20Leaning%20Tower%20of%20Pisa.jpg

Things this week are a little off-kilter.

Yesterday, while I was flexing my cooking muscles I dropped a plate and it smashed onto the tile floor into a million tiny pieces. I spent the next 20 minutes vacuuming all the microscopic shards and hoping that no one would somehow get a sliver of porcelain stuck in their foot. In Korea, dropping crockery is a sign of bad luck. And so I headed out after lunch driving tentatively and hoping that the smashed up plate wouldn't translate into a bingle on the road. Thankfully, it didn't.

Then while I was on the train going home after catching up with Mussus D, JT and O, I was flipping through the photos on my camera when I heard someone walk up the stairs and stop in front of me. I looked up and saw an eery looking man eyeing my camera:

Hello. What's your name?

he said.

In a moment of mindless reflex, I stupidly said Hello back before finding my marbles and
walking away through to the other carriage. In my haste, I dropped my phone and he tried to reach for it as I went to pick it up:

You dropped your phone.

he said. I got out of there faster than you could say "creepy guy with the creepy stare and the creepy observations".

Then today, somehow, somewhere along the way I dropped my weekly train ticket as I was going home. There were still two days left on it. It occurred to me that things weren't going all that smoothly this week- it's not like things were going badly, just a little bumpy.

I hope the tide turns tomorrow- maybe it's already started to turn: Miss Tiny found my train ticket on top of the watercooler. But that was after I'd already bought a new ticket to get home.

Still, better than nothing... Off kilter I tell you, it's all a little off.

No comments: