Monday, September 13, 2010

The conundrum of the clumsy parker

My driveway deserves a medal for perseverance. For decades, it has fought tooth and nail against the roots of the rubber tree which has pushed it upwards, inwards and finally caused it to crack. A giant fissure like an upside down V. Like this: ^

This morning, my driveway got a makeover, and as a result all three cars "evacuate(d) the driveway! (sing to the tune of "Evacuate the Dancefloor! by Cascada, thanks).

That was easy enough, but this evening when I got home, it took three rounds around my street for me to find a nice place to park. All because I kept missing the nice place to park the first two times.

I blame it on the dark. And I blame it on the orange siren lights on top of the skit. And I blame it on my poor night vision. And I blame it on the distracting work men watching me circle around 3 times, looking increasingly confused each time I came around. Like, whatever! Have you never seen a clumsy parker attempting to park in the dark?

The third and final time they waved to me. That wave you do when someone lets you in on a bumper to bumper road: raise arm, straight palm, finger fingers evenly spread, then down. I acknowledged their acknowledgment with a toothy grin, my own straight palm wave and ventured up the newly smooth driveway, and into the house.

No comments: