Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Streetdance...



You know those times when you inadvertently step into the path of a stranger?

If you're lucky, you do the Sidestep. i.e. you and/or the stranger anticipate the collision a metre in advance and miss one another completely: sidestep!

If your timing's a little off, you do the Side swipe. i.e. Sorry, you mutter, as you cop their shoulder in your bosom (if they're average height) or their sharp elbow in your cheek (if they're a giant): Oww!

If you're both uncoordinated, you do the Stalemate. Stuck in a dance of stopping and starting-- precisely in sync-- apologising in song, and diffusing the drawn out exchange with a sheepish laugh: Oh dear!

Today, I was crossing the street down near World Square when a mighty tall man stalemated me. One minute I was crossing the street talking to Miss DB, the next second I was floored by a wall of light pink business shirt. I started to my left, he started to his right. I started to my right, he started to his left. I tried a big shuffle to the left. He tried a half shuffle to his right.

We both laughed: Hor hor hor! Sorry!

He was that tall that I never did see his face. But when the stalemate ended, we both galloped across the street, free at last, without a backward glance.

No comments: