Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Haidillac Pony Express...


This evening, the HP Express and I caught up for some Seabay dumplings, tea and a good old yarn. It's only our 3rd get together for 2010-- the last being in March. Pathetic, yet undeniably impressive. You couldn't boast that many people with whom you could just sit down and pick up right where you left off 8 months ago, now could you?

Of all the people you meet in your lifetime, the majority fall away- move countries, work prevails, points of commonality are buried amongst boastings of "this important matter I'm working on" and you contemplate that it's sad that you can't stay friends with all the people you were so "close" to at a particular point in your life. I have zero primary school friends (reason: moved house and attended different high schools), a couple of high school friends (reason: different unis) and a couple of uni friends (reason: different industries, outlook on career and life generally). And so, as it stands, my centre of friendship currently lies at work.

However floating friendships aside, the HP Express and I have always been united by our Asian-ness, our desire to be done with all that Asian parents enforced conservatism, our awareness that we can both come across rather "blonde" (but damn it we still have brains!), our awesome relationship advice (to each other) and our struggle to find our career feet.

Plus, we pretty well get each other: the HP Express with her hyperbolic recounts of life's happenings which appear to propel day to day at break neck speed. Me with my less descriptive but usually relevant analogies in return. A tad bittersweet, but in the end, I think I've realised that I don't mind that the majority of my friendships stutter off into the abyss- with nothing but fond memories to take me back to younger times.

It's like my mum says: you'll only have a couple of friends who you'll keep for life... and if you have more, then you're pretty damn lucky.

No comments: