Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hi, how are you?

It's the perfunctory start to any conversation.

My reply is "Good thanks, yourself?"

Man from Mars opts for the "Not bad, how are you?"

The lady at Coles always says: "I'm alright luv."

Even when things are boring, same old, bad, terrible, depressing and sad, it's always fine, good, alright, not bad, okay.

The stationmaster at Gordon station made our day today. Clearly, he's got a secret to life that no one else knows about, because he replied with a toothy grin and a shake of his afro:

"Unreal! How about you?"

He beamed, I beamed, hell we all beamed. It was one of those moments where you did a mental double take and asked yourself: Did I hear what I think I heard? Did he just say he was unreal? And then you realise he did. And then you think about the fact that he's selling train tickets on a Saturday. And the fact that he could be doing so many other things on the gorgeous day that Saturday was. But yet his day was still unreal.

His reaction was genuine and pretty humbling. I think both Man from Mars and I walked away from that exchange contemplating daily life in a different light. Most days are pretty unreal in their own way. Things that make us giggle, comfortable, warm, full, hungry, curious, excited.... It's all unreal.

P.S. I'm in my happy space today. Thus, the new age life is good post. Ask me this time tomorrow and I may not be as optimistic about the unreal-ness of each day. Who cares, even if I'm not, I'm glad I felt it this weekend.

No comments: