Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Spare change anybody?


Today I paid the bus driver entirely in 5 cent coins.

That's $1.90 worth of 5 cents = 38 five cent coins.

World record or what?

It occurred to me as I was getting off the train, that my purse was on the verge of exploding courtesy of my inability to count coins quickly and give anyone exact change. My motto when shopping is, provide notes if possible, get the change and move on. The thought of standing at the counter, digging around in the teensy weensy coin section, using my brain to count out exact money and juggling all these different sized disks in the palm of my slippery hands just doesn't appeal. In fact, I would rather stick pens in my eye than do it; I refuse to do it.

But today was the day where Poor Old Purse looked ready to become Deflated Busted at the Seams Purse, so I took pity on it.

I hopped onto the bus, painstakingly counted out each 5 cent coin with the driver helping me along by droning "5...10....15...20...25..." all the way up to $1.90.

I grinned triumphantly, he declared "You beauty!" and we were ready to rock and roll.

Poor Old Purse lives to see another week.

No comments: