Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Aging Computer

http://www.pinelakeshome.com/computerdoctorlogo.gif

Why do computers become slower as they get older?

I use my computer the same way I used it yesterday, the day before that, the week before that, the year before that. And yet today my computer took half an hour just to get to Google and a decade to download some critical update.

I'm livid. I'm hot. My computer is incompetent.


I asked Man from Mars a while ago and he explained it in terms of caches, defragging and you just need a new computer.

Why?? Why do I need a new computer? Why can't it just keep working like my toaster? My toaster has lasted 4 years without a single mishap. Some day down the track the spring won't push down but that day ain't today and it probably won't be for another 4 years. Touch wood.

Meanwhile my computer is 3 years old. Barely a toddler.

I don't understand and I absolutely refuse to empathise. My computer has a whole desk to itself. It's been treated with TLC. It has no reason to go all geriatric now.

Come on Computer, dig deep- you can recover, come back stronger than ever... If Serena Williams did it- you can too.

No comments: