Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Science is so scientific...

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/images/water.JPG

One of my workmates has finished his college of law exams and was ready to "what comes before part b? PART-AY!"

So we went to Arthouse for $12 cocktails, got super tipsy on the Two Faced Angel and proceeded to march across the road to Han Kook Restaurant. This is my favourite Korean food haunt- it's cheap, tasty, and one of the waiters once rescued my phone (that I had left behind, forlornly tucked underneath my bowl of dumpling soup) in typical Korean male fashion: he followed me out the door bellowing "HELLO? HELLO? HOW ARE YOU?" into the phone, as if he were talking into it. Meanwhile my friend and I were chattering away, proclaiming to each other about how low the crotch of her harem pants could go (with a full demonstration to boot) and tried to walk faster to get the hell away from this scary loud man. We never turned around, so we didn't know it was him- just that he was inappropriately close behind and being too noisy. Anyway, eventually he groaned and shouted "You left your phone!!" and we all cackled hysterically like goons as the realisation dawned.

The seven of us ate and ate and ate, before going our separate ways. I took the train with two others down the Epping line, and as we sat in the 6 seater tipsy, tired and fuzzily happy to not think, my friend who has retro black and white framed glasses mused out loud:

"If you had a cup of water with ice cubes floating on top, and the ice then melts, would the water level rise or fall?"

I blinked slowly. Open. Shut. I scratched my head. I'm schleepy.

I squinted my eye and tried to do the visual thing. I imagined a bucket of water with ice on top. Then I watched it melt. My video stopped there and I never got to see what happens to the water level.

I'm stumped.

"I reckon it rises cos when the ice melts, the particles go further apart, and so the water level would rise because there's more particles spread around" I said staring at the roof.

"Hm. I suppose, but I think it'd fall" he said staring at the other people on the train.

Meanwhile our other friend was engrossed in her IPhone game- some strategic game that centres on shifting fuzzballs.

"Can you google it?" we whined.

"Nooo! I'm really stressed right now, I'm on a time limit!"

And so we exchanged "Man I dunno the answer" looks and settled back into our seats struggling to keep our eyes open.

Eventually after half an hour of debating, wiki-ing and listening to our Fuzzball Champion describe some interesting facts about ice (without ever googling the right thing to let us know whether the water level rises or falls) we resorted to asking my friend with the retro black and white glasses' dad, who's a scientist:

"Hmm, well it would rise, wouldn't it?" was his answer.

A question answered with a question is always helpful.

My friend agreed, and said he'd be home soon.

"What was his explanation? I asked

"Hmm, I didn't ask. I just thought, he says it rises, so it's right" my friend with the retro black and white glasses answered, as if to shrug and say I did my best.

"You didn't ask him for the explanation?!"

"Nuh!"

And so we all started laughing like you do when you're tired and drunk: in that floppy unrestrained way. The whole point of this debate was to understand how water works.

Having established absolutely nothing that whole train ride, we got off and my friend with the retro black and white glasses drove us all home.

Today at work, in a clearer frame of mind, he googled it and found the answer instantly:

"So I found this really obscure website [http://www.seed.slb.com/v2/FAQView.cfm?ID=1166] in like 10 seconds, and it says that the water level stays the same".

We cackled like goons again. If only we'd all paid attention in year 7 science.

No comments: