Thursday, November 5, 2009

Self help is happy help

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6W4ylwIYopw/SqMP-uM8KPI/AAAAAAAAAzA/2UBab9hGeuQ/s400/littleenginethatcould.jpg


At work we all had to attend a half-day training session on postive thinking.

Apparently positive thinking will enable us to be less affected by everyday stresses and take on those bothersome aspects of life with the poise and collected cool of Princess Mary (okay, bad analogy there since royalty is paid to look unaffected, but you get my story homies).

Anyway, so one of the things our presenter highlighted to us is that we have a lot of negative self talk which stops us from dealing with annoying situations properly, makes us hold onto anger longer and prevents us from reaching our full potential.

She asked us to monitor those times throughout the day where we engage in negative self talk, and so today I did just that. Here are the number of times my negative self talk kicked in:
  1. This morning on the train I thought "I am wearing the most uncomfortable skirt today, I bet my bum looks convex". I immediately turned my self talk around and said "Who cares if it looks convex, you're wearing a long coat and long coats are classy in a mysterious kind of way";
  2. At work, I received a bunch of emails from this one really annoyed person and I thought "Damn I'm a retard, I should've been more prompt with this, I should've nipped this problem in the bud. It should never have gotten to this point." Then my good voice chimed in "But you couldn't have done anything about it before because no one could've known. You're fine";
  3. After lunch I polished off two Kitkats and thought "Whoa there Miss Chocoaddict, steady on! Two is two too many!" Then I did my mental 180 flip and reasoned that "Two mini Kitkats is a treat- enjoy, just because it's chocolate, doesn't mean it's bad- it's got happy chemicals all throughout. And you can't just find happy chemicals anywhere. "
  4. When I got off the train it was pouring and I turned into a soggy sausage. I thought "I feel like a stray cat, all my stuff's wet and I really really need windscreen wipers for my glasses!". Then I decided that "Look, at least you turned into a soggy sausage on the day that your greasy hair desperately needs washing, and plus, rain opens up your pores."

To be honest, I was happier for it. And I know there are those cynics out there who think self help and positive thinking is a bunch of loony tunes, but at the end of the day whatever makes you feel good is what will make you enjoy life. And really, we're all our own harshest critics. A little bit of self appreciation wouldn't hurt anyone.

No comments: