Sunday, November 29, 2009

Balmy weekends...

It was my turn to head down to Canberra this weekend.

On Saturday we went to Bookplate, which is a little cafe overlooking the Man made Lake of Canberra that is, Lake Burley Griffin.

I had the lamb curry and Man from Mars had a savoury pancake. We should've swapped meals, because mine was the size of Australia, while Man from Mars' was the size of Tokyo. Geography works well for the purposes of comparison, hey?

Anyway, the food was surprisingly delicious, even if Man from Mars' salad almost blew away with the accompanying gale force winds. We ate, we drank and then we waddled down the steps back to our car.

This weekend had mixed results in the shopping department. I've been eyeing these black wedges (you know how I love my wedges - http://angstonlegs.blogspot.com/2009/10/where-in-stiletto-does-appeal-lie.html) for donkey's years and on Saturday Man from Mars, being the supportive fellow he is, challenged me with a:
"Why not?"
in answer to my monologue on the wedges:

"I really really like them, except they're so high. I can't walk in them when they're that high. But they are wedges, so they're not nearly as impossible as other high shoes. Also, they're $30 off and I've been checking them out for so long. What do you think? Do they look good? Are they too high? Do I walk unco in them? Do you reckon I'll be able to walk well in them? All SATC- like?

http://www.betts.com.au/ (Shoe name: "Bondage")

So, Man from Mars' nonchalant reply persuaded me to purchase these funky shoes.

I got home, put them on and attempted a strut.

My knee practically flipped.

"Aww this is so tricky!" says I.

I gave it my all. I walked up and back, tried jogging on the spot, tried standing up nice and tall. But nothing in this life time would have made me feel like I could endure those shoes for more than 3 steps.

"D'you reckon it's really bad if I want to return'em?" I ventured.

"Nah, why not? If you don't like'em, then do it. I've done it before, it's fine" says Ever Supportive Man from Mars.

"Okay, let's goooo."

So we went. And I substituted those knee flipping wedges for some cute tan sandals.

Check'em- they're these but tan:

http://www.betts.com.au/ (Shoe name: Heckler)

In other news, Man from Mars' super tall housemate had a big night last night and blew chunks this morning. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to anything chunder; whether it be its smell, sound or appearance. So this morning as the sound of him blowing chunks echoed down the hall, I cringed, winced and sympathised.

Meanwhile, Ever Nonchalant Man from Mars just rolled over mid-snore and murmured: "Is that someone being sick? Hmm must've had a big night..."

Geez. You think?? I shoved my head under the pillow and tried to block out the noise with the sound of my own snuffled breathing.

No comments: