Monday, November 16, 2009

Gettin jiggy with it

http://theflaneurist.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hip-hop.jpg

After work my three workmates and I went to our hiphop class, which is located on the 8th floor of the building next door to the Spanish Club.

It's a "Foundation class" which is meant to be the precursor to the Beginners class. Specially designed for authentic novices such as yours truly.

I haven't been for the last two weeks: once because I was in Melbourne and the next time because I forgot my change of clothes... I was wearing pencil skirt that would've busted with the slightest side lunge.

Anyway, today we had a full class of 9 (as compared to just us 4) and we learnt a bunch of new moves.

Our instructor is Chux and he's like some national champion in a variety of different dance genres. He makes walking on the spot look awesome- he throws in some crimping and slides his head around all funky like. Meanwhile, I get semi-hypotised by the moves he's chucking, as well my vastly different reflection in the wall to wall floor length mirrors and promptly forget everything we've just learnt.

Also of newsworthy mention, today I left my wallet at home. I left it on my bed when I was rearranging the contents of my bag to make some space for my all important lunch. How annoying.

I got to the station, realised my wallet was at home, rolled my eyes at myself and tried to think of some ingenious way to get through the ticket gates. As always the strict lady at the gate was manning her fort like a hawk and I knew that slipping through behind another passenger just wasn't gonna cut it.

It wasn't hard to look stressed and apologetic (because I'll be honest, I sort of was) and I gave it to her straight:

"Look, I've left my wallet at home and it's got my train ticket and I have no money".

Ordinarily, strict lady with the furrowed brow is unforgiving and ruthless. I waited expectantly for her to shake her head and utter those "gotta be cruel to be kind and rules are rules for a reason" words that I don't doubt she would've told many a passenger in the same position as me.

But today, she smiled kindly- almost grandmotherly, and patted me on the arm:

"That's okay, I'll let you through and you go buy yourself a ticket, and come back and show me that you've bought it".

I thanked her a thousand times, but walked through perplexed. What a conundrum. She let me through on the condition that I buy a ticket and show her. Except I had no wallet= no money = no funds to buy all important ticket. She had been so forgiving during this whole ordeal, I felt like I was taking advantage of her goodwill by running off without buying it. So I made a huge display of "calling my friend" at work who I thought would be able to bail me out.

No such luck, the closest person was 20 minutes from the city.

Hell, I had no choice. I ran off without buying a ticket. I felt bad but would could I do?

Tomorrow I'll do a good deed in return and all the karmic forces will be restored.

No comments: